Now is a great time to find a long-term rental on the Costa del Sol – the summer has passed, landlords are looking for ways to make money over the low season and are more open to long term rentals. But, how do you choose your perfect long-term rental?
Our experts have been finding long-term rental properties for clients for many years, as well as living here on the Costa del Sol for decades. So based on this experience, here are five important factors to consider to make sure that you find the perfect place for you.
- Location, location, location – We all know that even the best property in a terrible area is going to be hard to live in, so we advise that you think very carefully when choosing your area and location. Think about how easy it is to get to, with or without a car, how it will feel out of season, as well as in peak summer and whether it will be too noisy in the summer or too isolated in the winter. Try to visit your favourite locations at different times of the day and ask locals what it’s like at different times of year. Go to the local supermarkets and shops and check you feel happy with the area and will enjoy living your life in your chosen part of the Costa del Sol. The great thing about this coast is there are different areas and options to suit everyone, so look around, ask for advice and do your research before making your decision.
- Price – The great news is that renting long-term on the Costa del Sol is a lot cheaper than in other parts of the world. However, when you’re setting your budget for monthly rent, make sure that you can afford the rent comfortably and factor in costs for bills to make sure you can afford it, not just now, but in months to come. When you first move, and you may not have a job, you’re better off choosing a cheaper place where you’ll feel comfortable for longer. You have the flexibility to move again when you are working, but at least you have an affordable base while you get yourself settled.
- Space – Take a close look at the interior and exterior space and think carefully how much space you really need. We are lucky to have such wonderful weather on the Costa del Sol, that terraces (especially covered ones) can be used almost all year round, so factor them in as usable space. But remember that we do have a winter too, so don’t prioritise exterior space over interior areas. Think how many bedrooms you need. Many people pay for an additional bedroom for visitors, when they could easily sleep on a sofa bed. Remember most of the year it will just be you, so don’t shell out on additional rooms unnecessarily. On the other hand, if you will be working from home, it’s a good idea to give yourself a dedicated office space, which can also double as a spare room when needed, as it’s hard working around the kitchen table.
- Facilities – Many Costa del Sol properties will offer amazing facilities on the development such as gardens, pools and even playgrounds and this is a real bonus for residents. As you’re renting long term rather than buying, you normally don’t have to pay community fees, so take advantage and choose a property with lots of facilities. Try to get a property with access to a pool, as they are a real godsend in the summer, especially if you have kids.
- Parking – If you are looking in a town such as Estepona, Marbella, Fuengirola, Benalmadena or Torremolinos and want to be central, parking is often an issue. The population in the summer months can double in some places and so it can be a nightmare if you don’t have a designated parking space. If your apartment doesn’t have parking, ask your agent if there’s an option to rent a space and how much that would be on top of the rent, as this is often the most affordable and reliable option.
We hope these five factors will help you to choose the right long term rental property for you. Remember that we’re here to help with your search and we can give you the benefit of our years’ of on-the-ground experience to make sure you make the right choice. Browse our website for long-term rentals on the Costa del Sol, find out why to choose a long-term rental, or contact us with your requirements and we’ll send you a list of options.